Sunday, August 5, 2012

Review: Storm by Brigid Kemmerer

Storm (Elementals #1)
By Brigid Kemmerer
Published: April 24, 2012
Publisher: Kensington
Paperback, 353 Pages

Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys - all the ones she doesn't want. Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They're powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.

And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.

Secrets are hard to keep when your life's at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who's hiding the most dangerous truth of all.

The storm is coming. --Goodreads


4 Stars

Review

The beginning of Storm was really confusing for me and I admit, at first, I was not immediately sucked into the book. It wasn't until about the 50th page that I really got into the book, but once I got into the story, I was hooked! The beginning starts off with Chris getting beat up and Becca helping Chris get away from the bullies. Things got a bit confusing to me when I read the conversations that we going on between the Merrick family, everything was super secretive and they were a bit rude to Becca. But we later find out why they acted so secretive. 

Lately in YA novels, it's always the best friend of the protagonist that I don't like and thus he/she kind of kills the story a little for me. Quinn is the best friend of Becca. At first I didn't have an opinion of Quinn; she was just another character, nothing too special, but then she really got on my nerves. She came off to me as selfish and self-centered. Quinn seems to care about Becca, but not as much as she cares about herself, which just really bugged me. Why can't YA novels have a good, nice best friend? Quinn did redeem herself though, but that was towards the end of the novel and by that point my impression of her kind of stuck. 

The mystery aspects(and there were a lot) in Storm was one of the things that bugged me, yet intrigued me. It bugged me because I really really wanted to find out what the heck is going on. It intrigued me because it made the book that much more enjoyable. Nothing in Storm was predictable and I liked that about a novel because come on, who wants to read a book that they already know what will happen? One of the things that really got me was who the Guide was. I thought for sure that the Guide was this one person, but it was someone else entirely. 

Our protagonist was also very likable. Becca Chandler has a good head on her shoulders, but sometimes her wanting to help overpowers that, like jumping in the middle of a fight or being in a shooting fire. 

The plot was pure awesomeness! I really like that everyone (well not everyone, but the main characters) had some kind of element power, whether it be Earth, Wind, Fire, or Water. There was also a fifth element that I found really interesting, Spirit. 

Something else that some people may not like about this book is the amount of swear words that this book has. This did not really bugged me because lately it seems like a lot of YA novels have a lot of cursing, plus a lot of teens these days curse more and more.


Purchase this book: Amazon / Barnes&Noble / The Book Depository

4 comments:

  1. Gahhh, loved & reviewed this book last week. :) I didn't get too annoyed by Quinn, but didn't particularly care for her either. I loved the mystery - it made this book SO HARD to put down! And I can't wait for Spark. :) And The Guide? Never saw that coming! Although I love how I completely missed all of the hints, hehe. Great review!

    Randi @ Cardigans, Coffee and Bookmarks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you so much!

      I LOVED this book as well :) I was so completely blind-sighted at the identity of the Guide! And yes I too am super excited for Spark, but it comes out this month yay!

      Delete
    2. I know! I can't wait to read it!

      Delete

Please share your thoughts! We really appreciate your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...